SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
INTRODUCING: Supply Chain Planning Tool - Driving Global Optimization of Resources & Efficiency
Effective supply chain management begins with effective planning – a forward-looking process of determining how to best identify and fulfil requirements for goods and services. This intricate cross-functional process is comprised of demand, source, acquisition and transportation planning and entails collaboration between the local, regional and global levels of the Organization.
The Office of Supply Chain Management is leading a significant change in supply chain planning process across the organization and working closely with Umoja and client entities in deploying the Supply Chain Planning Tool.
The new tool and the accompanying changes in the planning process, streamline and improve supply chain planning data and processes within the different levels of the Organization. The solution will be fully deployed bu the end of 2021. It will be the Organization’s first SAP cloud solution and the first major public sector implementation of its kind.
The tool will allow the planning process to be conducted within a single system that applies historical data and forecasting models and provides planners with instant visibility on available stocks and inventory in the pipeline. The supply network planning processes will be enriched with the ability to automatically link demand to existing stocks, contracts and facilitate global source and acquisition plans.
The solution is being developed by the Umoja team and the Umoja Coordination Service (OSCM/DOS) in collaboration with selected entities that make up the Solution Validation Group.
What benefits and improvements will the solution inroduce?
VISIBILITY: move supply chain data out of silos and make it available across the organization
INTEGRATION: visibility across the same set of data and plans across extended supply chain
AGGREGATION & DISAGGREGATION: within category, mission and at global level
INTELLIGENCE: enhanced advance planning with the input and intelligence of data availability
ACCESSIBILITY: involve multiple entities/ sections in discussions on optimizing the plan
EFFICIENCY: right product at the right time and at optimal cost
OPTIMIZING: availability of material whilst optimizing inventory levels
AGILITY: create and manage an agile supply network to achieve service levels
Learn more about the Supply Chain Planning Tool!
- Gross Demand Explained - In this video you will learn how Gross Demand is defined and calculated in the planning tool through an example.
- Historical Data Adjustment - In this video you will learn the importance of Historical data adjustments, why it is important to adjust historic data, and the steps to do it in the planning tool.
- Automatic Cleansing - In this video you will learn what is Automatic Cleansing, the concepts and process behind Automatic Cleansing in the planning tool.
- Segmentation in Planning - In this video you will learn what is Segmentation (ABC\XYZ), its importance for Demand Planning and the steps to carry out Segmentation in the planning tool.
- Statistical Forecasting - In this video you will learn the definition of Statistical Forecasting and the process to carry out Forecasting in the planning tool.
- Entity Priority Projects (EPPs) - In this video you will learn whatEntity Priority Projects are , their importance and how it is captured in the planning tool.
Gross Demand Planning Training Material (pdf files & MS Stream links):
- Overview/ Video
- Historical Data/ Video
- Classification and Data Cleansing/ Video
- Segmentation and Statistical Forecast/ Video
- Entity Priority Project and Master Data/ Video
- Equipment and Additional Demand/ Video
- Dollarization and Final Gross Demand/ Video / Video
- Summary/ Video
Net Demand Training Material
- Heuristics - In this video you will learn about heuristics and the inputs and outputs for the planning tool.
- Gross Demand to Net Demand - In this video you will learn how the gross demand is used to calculate the net demand in the planning tool.
- Source Planning - In this video you will learn what source planning is. internal & external sourcing methods and the plans involved in the process for source planning using the planning tool.
Umoja Transportation Management (Release 2) is now Live!
The way in which we plan, execute and monitor transportation of UN Owned Equipment (UNOE), Contingent Owned Equipment (COE) and personnel (troops and police) - began its transformation with the initial, limited scope deployment of the Transportation Management and Track & Trace (TM) solution in January 2019.
In December 2019, the solution was deployed to all PK and SPMs, as well as to ECA, ESCWA, ECLAC and UNON, to over 2,500 Umoja users globally. The solution entails changes in the way entities plan, manage and monitor movement of goods.
The TM solution facilitates and standardizes the UN-wide transportation planning and management for UNOE/Goods, COE and personnel (Troop and Police) movements. It provides enhanced visibility and control over global movement of goods and shipments, whether from a vendor to our locations, or between our locations, including movements and shipments undertaken within entities various warehouse locations. The Track & Trace functionality allows inbound coordinators, transportation planners, requisitioners and buyers to monitor their shipments in Umoja. In addition, the Carrier Collaboration Portal allows vendors to update information and submit documents online, thus significantly improving communication and collaboration. Please see infographic
The Uniformed Capabilities Management (UCM) system is Live!
“With the establishment of the new Uniformed Capabilities Support Division and the significant process improvements being introduced through UCM, we will be more adequately equipped to better serve the needs of troop and police contributing countries. In line with the wider reform efforts, the Division will serve as a single point of service within the Secretariat for support and reimbursement issues.” – Mr. Atul Khare, Under-Secretary-General for Operational Support